Texan born Tanya Tucker’s musical career and personal life have been full of twists and turns just like a great country song and it’s really exciting to hear that her first full length album in seventeen years is due for release on 23rd August on Fantasy Records.
” While I’m Livin'” is a collection of ten songs and is co-produced by Shooter Jennings and Brandi Carlile, the latter of whom co-wrote seven of the tracks alongside her twin bandmates Tim and Phil Hanseroth including the lead single ” The Wheels of Laredo” which was unveiled recently. The track is full of lament and regret, and in the accompanying video Tanya shares her passion for horses and helps promote a cause close to her heart, Redemption Road Rescue
Tanya’s career dates back to 1972 when she became an overnight success aged 13 with her version of “Delta Dawn”, and she went on to record a stream of hits and win numerous awards, including two CMAs, two ACMs, three CMT awards and 10 GRAMMY nominations. She is one of the most admired and influential artists in country music history.
The new album is described by Brandi as “a musical biography of sorts about Tanya’s real life and the places she’s seen”. The closing track “Bring My Flowers Now” is in many ways its cornerstone, and speaks of the importance of showing appreciation to loved ones before it is too late. It’s the only track co-written by Tanya, Brandi and the twins. There are three covers on the track listing, including Miranda Lambert’s nostalgic “The House That Built Me”.
I gather that Brandi was originally approached to write for the album, but her huge admiration for Tanya and all she stands for resulted in her joining Shooter as co-producer. Tanya says of her that “Brandi is truly out of this world. She’s talented, smart, funny, never ever slows down and has a heart of gold” . And Brandi says “I am drawn to Tanya Tucker because she has been to hell and heaven… she’s lived, she’s living, she’s got something to say and I’m listening”.
The pair have already performed together recently, including at Loretta Lynn’s birthday tribute concert and this year’s CMT Awards, demonstrating not only their combined talents but the chemistry between them.
WHILE I’M LIVIN TRACKLIST:
1. “Mustang Ridge” (Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
2. “The Wheels Of Laredo” (Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
3. “I Don’t Owe You Anything” (Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
4. “The Day My Heart Goes Still” (Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
5. “High Ridin’ Heroes” (David Lynn Jones)
6. “The House That Built Me” (Tom Douglas and Allen Shamblin)
7. “Hard Luck” (John C. “Pete” Bailey, David Lee Mitchell, Raymond L. Turner and Jerry Ontiberoz)
8. “Rich” (Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
9. “Seminole Wind Calling” (Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
10. “Bring My Flowers Now” (Tanya Tucker, Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)